Saturday, June 6, 2015

ARE YOU JESUS?

.
By Richard Burnett
 
Photo: Richard Burnett
In 2005, I retired from a nice long career as a teacher and school principal in both public and private schools. As with most teachers, I had many good, wonderful moments, and a few not so good. That’s normal and to be expected in a human world of sin — a world filled with both good and bad. In an educational environment with children and young people of various ages from young elementary to high school age, I met and worked with great students and wonderful teachers, most of whom I will never forget.

Without any doubt, my very favorite and memorable moment occurred one day when I was walking the playground as principal of a 10-grade junior academy.  It was a beautiful sunny day, and as I was strolling along I noticed there were a couple of the lower grade classes were out for recess.

Out of nowhere, I felt a small hand grab mine and I saw this sweet little child look up at this big man, her principal, and ask, “Are you Jesus?” Wow! Now that is some question, a real one that I was not quite expecting, and she seemed so serious.

With a little tear in my eye, I assured her that I was not Jesus. I assured her I was nothing like Jesus, but I sure wanted to be like Him. She said, “You seem so nice and kind.” I told this dear child that that’s the way I always want to be, not only to my kids at school, but everyone.

I took her back to her teacher and then went inside to my office, sat down and wept a moment, offered up a prayer for this little angel, and reflected on the influence that teachers and school principals have on children — those precious little ones who may not hear often enough at home or anywhere that they are loved and someone cares about them.

That encounter that day changed my life. I renewed my covenant that special day with my Lord to always be a positive influence and example for those I work with and for my family at home. Friend, my question for you is: Do the people who are a part of your life know that you love and care about them and that Jesus loves and cares about them, too? I pray the answer is, yes.
 
Source : http://www.storyharvest.org/article/350/stories/are-you-jesus

No comments:

Post a Comment